Wednesday, March 25, 2020

Grammar Assignments for March 25th-First and Second Conditionals

Hi Students. Many students feel confused by this grammar. It is tricky. This is an instructional video I put on You Tube to help you complete the assignments today.



Please watch this video on first conditionals. It has an excellent explanation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7EQd2RfT38

First Conditional: Real Possibility
If +subject+present tense verb, subject+will+base verbIf she studies a lot, she will pass the exam.
                                             or
Subject+will+base verb... if +subject+present tense verb. (no comma in this structure) They will go on vacation if they have the time.

Second Conditional: Unreal Possibility

If+subject+past tense verb, subject+would+base verb.
                                         or
Subject+would+base verb...if+subject+past tense verb
We use the second conditional in 3 different ways:
1. To say what is impossible or unlikely.
Example: If we had class this week, we would have a BIG party! (This is impossible because the Governor has closed schools until May 1st )
*By using the second conditional, I'm telling the listener that I don't think it's possible.
2. Giving advice
We give advice using the second conditional by saying "If I were you, I would...
This is an unreal condition because I am not you.
Examples: If I were you, I would wash my hands.
                  If I were you, I would visit Yellowstone National Park.
3. Just for fun!
Use the second conditional to imagine a different future.
Examples: If I had a million dollars, I would hire a chef.
                    If I could go back in time, I would learn another language as a child.
These are impossible situations, but fun to think about.
*Using Might and Could
Might or could can replace “would” in the second conditional. When these words are used, it can have a slight change of meaning:
  • would = impossible or unlikely
  • might = unlikely but possible
  • could = ability (would be able to)
Assignment #1: 

1. Write likely (probable) or unlikely (not probable) next to each sentence.
2. Make a conditional sentence for each situation. If you put Likely-use the first conditional. if you put unlikely, use the second conditional.
Examples: A tiger walks into this room.-unlikely
                If a tiger walked into this room, I would scream!

               It rains this weekend.-likely
               If it rains this weekend, I will stay inside and watch Netflix.
Image result for first and second conditionals exercises
Assignment #2
First Conditional Practice
Answer the questions using the first conditional (If I can't sleep tonight, I will read a book.)

What will you do if you can’t sleep tonight?

 If your TV breaks next week, what will you do?

 What will you eat if you are hungry at midnight tonight?

 If you have some free time on Saturday, what will you do?

 If it rains tomorrow, will you bring an umbrella?

Assignment #3
Second Conditional Practice
Answer the questions about you. Use the second
conditional in your answers. (If I traveled back in time, I would talk to my grandfather.)

1. Who would you talk to if you traveled back in time?
 _________________________________________________________
2. Where would you go on holiday if you traveled back in time?
 __________________________________________________________
3. How would you feel if you were the only person on earth?
 _________________________________________________________

4. What would you buy if you were very, very rich?
 _________________________________________________________
5. What would you do if you found $500?
 ________________________________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment